Amazon Alexa is a voice-enabled, digital personal assistant which can make your life easier by doing many everyday tasks for you. It works on voice recognition technology and gives a hands-free experience to the user. You can talk to Alexa in your natural voice and it will respond back in its unique Alexa voice. The more you interact with Alexa, the more it learns about you and becomes smarter at recognizing your vocabulary, routine patterns and differentiating between voices of family members. A smooth and strong Wifi network is necessary for Amazon Echo Setup and for Alexa to function
Alexa can check the weather for you, update your calendar, play media, set reminders, read out ebooks, tell you jokes, manage your messages and calls but its strongest attribute is its capability to manage smart home devices like smart locks, smart sprinklers, switches, dimmers, and thermostats. It can also interact with other apps you are using like Uber, Fitbit, Spotify to help you book a cab, monitor sleep or play music. Amazon provides regular updates to the Alexa software which adds more skills and capabilities to this smart digital assistant.
You can buy any Alexa enabled device from Amazon to start your interaction with Alexa. These are devices on which Alexa functions and come preloaded with Alexa software. The most affordable device is Amazon Echo Dot but the most popular one is the Amazon Echo which comes with 360 degrees Dolby powered speakers and gives a more immersive sound experience. The latest version of the device comes with fabric finish and sleeker design to blend in with your environment. Bring an Amazon Alexa Echo device home and set it up to embark on your journey with Alexa.
Before you begin the process to Setup Echo, there are few tips and essentials to be considered for an effortless ride.
- A smooth and strong Wifi network is necessary for Amazon Echo Setup and for Alexa to function. Alexa is only compatible with dual-band networks and does not support peer-to-peer wireless networks.
- The Echo device must be placed at least 8 inches away from any obstructing wall or furniture. Ensure that there is a plug point nearby to power up the Echo device. The device does not run on battery and needs to plug into a power source at all times. Use the power cable provided in the pack and avoid alternatives for best results.
- You would need a mobile device, a tablet or a desktop to access the Amazon Echo Setup For mobile devices, The Alexa app is essential to Setup Echo. You can directly go to the app store on your device and search for ‘Alexa app’ and install it. Alternatively, open the browser on your device and type alexa.amazon.com. This will prompt you to download the app and give a link which directly takes you to the Alexa app on the app store.
- Alexa app is compatible with iOS versions 9.0 or higher, Android versions 5.0 or higher and FireOS versions 3.0 or higher. Desktop users can directly visit alexa.amazon.com on any browser-Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer- to be Setup Echo devices.
- You need to have an Amazon account under which you can register all your Alexa compatible devices. The app or the browser page on https://alexa.amazon.com will prompt you to login to that account before you can begin Amazon Echo setup.
- In case you need cannot complete the Amazon Echo Setup, you can cancel the process any time and begin later from the start.
Now that you are ready with all the essentials, here is a quick guide for Amazon Alexa setup which is handy for Amazon Echo setup or any other device in the Echo range like Echo Dot, Echo Show or Echo Tap-
- First of all, Download Alexa App from any app, Go to the menu button on your app in the left-hand side and select ‘Setup a new device’ option. This will lead you to a list of Amazon Alexa compatible devices. Select your Echo device and continue. Desktop users can see ‘Begin setup’ button on the browser page after logging into the Amazon account.
- Now make sure your device is plugged in the power source. Give it few seconds as the ring light turns orange from blue indicating the setup mode. If you cannot see the orange light, just press the ‘Action’ button on your device for six seconds and the light will come up automatically. The device is now in setup mode and you can proceed to the next step.
- Proceed to the next step where you will have to go to the wifi settings on the device where you are accessing the Amazon Echo setup Choose a custom Amazon wireless network appearing under wifi settings. This setup will have a name beginning with the word ‘Amazon’.
- Now the app or the setup browser page will show a list of available wifi networks. Choose the one you would like to regularly use for Alexa to function. Wait for the connection to be established. The setup will be complete at this step.
You can use the default wake word ‘Alexa’ followed by a question or task. For example, say “Alexa, what’s the weather today?” and Alexa will gather the latest weather info for your region. From the app, you can set local address and time zones to get relevant updates. The app also lets you upgrade the wireless network at any time while helping you monitor your devices, including the smart home devices that Alexa controls. For more personalization, you can even change the wake word and give your device a new name. This is helpful if you are using multiple devices throughout your home. You can also use your multiple Echo devices as intercom within the house.